PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Return to reciprocal runway advised in emergency ?
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 22:19
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with everything you say, apart from the 360.
Coffin Corner said : 180 + 90 + 90

When I learned to navigate that added up to 360.

But then of course the World has changed a little in the last 50 yrs.

Blame Bill Gates.

The only thing to really remember is : Fly The Aeroplane. Right down to the ground, don't get distracted from this one fact, and remember that a glider pilot ALWAYS makes a power off forced landing, and they usually survive.

The only time I have had to make that decision is when the power failed as I tried to correct a downdraft on a glide approach to a short runway in a flapless aeroplane, so all Lifelines used up, couldn't ask the audience, couldn't ring a friend ( OK, I could have set it up better, hindsight is great ) the only choice was between two trees to the field beyond, so decided that it would be best to be lowest and slowest when the wings were torn off, so got down to thistle height just above the stall, actually got through OK and landed. Learned a lot, again, basically the engine will stop at the worst possible moment, and Fly The Aeroplane.

( always come in higher now, and with a trickle of power to encourage the engine !!! ) My sideslips are immaculate.

Cheers.