PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Control
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 21:59
Spitoon

Originally Posted by BDiONU
NATS apply to the Directorate of Airspace Policy for a unit callsign and DAP decides on what the unit callsign may be. ATSSD licences the unit to provide an ATC service using the callsign which they're authorised to use. The law to which I'm refering is the licence.
Ahhh, let's look at this, bit by bit. I always thought that and applicant wishing to establish an Aeronautical Ground Station proposed the callsign to be used. The CAA/DAP assesses whether it is appropriate and in accordance with ICAO SARPs and, if it is, will accept the use of that callsign in association with the radio station. As I understand it, CAA/DAP does not simply decide what the station callsign will be. This process seems to be consistent with the text on the relevant application form - Form SRG 1417.

When you say that CAA/SRG/ATSD licences the unit to provide a service are you talking about the approval to provide an air traffic service issued under the provisions of Article 100 of the ANO? Or perhaps you mean the approval to operate the equipment issued under the provisions of Article 124 of the ANO? Or maybe even the radio station licence which is not issued by the CAA but rather by Ofcom? None of which really are 'law' - I suspect what you mean is that the station operator must comply with the conditions of the licence or approval related to the operation of the equipment.

I have to say that I have personally seen dozens of ATC units which use a number of different callsigns, all from the same facility too. They're called aerodromes. Why, I've even sat next to another controller, as close as I am to this computer, and used a different callsign to my colleague - don't push me too much on the details but I think my callsign ended with 'Ground' and my colleague's with 'Tower'. My, when I think back, those were confusing days - having to remember which callsign to useand when. Mind you, I guess it must be OK because one of those mindless ICAO docs to which Lurking, one of your colleague I would have to guess, refers seems to be written in such a way as to mean that callsigns reflect the unit or service being provided. It's Annex 10 Vol 2 para 5.2.1.7.1 if you want to look it up.

So, I'm afraid I'm still a bit puzzled by this law you mentioned.....