PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS imposter rumbled
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 21:58
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's certainly not limited to aviation. I was in London back in 1969 and doing my best to get the leg over with a young American lady of the Jewish persuasion. One night she and her girlfriend (of similar persuasions) insisted on going to an Israeli restaurant on the other side of London that served "real Israeli food". (And of course, ever hopeful, we all tagged along.)

There I learned two things.

(a) Why the Israli Army is so damned good. (Answer: their soldiers are all trying to make it to the decent food on offer in [pick your Arab capital]'s shwarma stands.) The Israeli food, if the "real Israeli food" on offer at that particular "Israeli" London restaurant was anything to go by, is something worth fighting for - to get away from.

And

(b) That Isareli armoured vehicles have incredibly large turrets and multiple commanders. Both these facts must be so, judging by the number of half-pissed young men at the bar in that restaurant that night who claimed to have been the commander of the lead tank into Damascus in the Six Day War of June 1966. It didn't seem polite at the time to remind any of them that as far as we knew, no Israeli tank got anywhere near Damascus in that particular war.