PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pensions (Split from Pay 2009 thread)
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 20:06
alfie1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anotherthing

Alfie1999

I'm ex forces, now a NATS ATCO. I have to concur with BDiONU.

As an Officer, I had numerous (unpaid and un-volunteered for) secondary duties, was moved from pillar to post (NATS staff don't really know what a mobile grade can mean!); was responsible (without extra pay) for the career advancement and pastoral care of junior officers/rankers below me; was eligible for postings to less salubrious area where I could get shot at.

And the pay, as an Officer (can't remember what my salary was when I left in 2001), was nowhere near as good as I get now as an ATCO (taking into consideration subsequent pay rises after I left) and I'm not anywhere near the top of scale yet)

The two are just not even remotely comparable when you take everything into consideration!

Trying to compare salaries is a non starter whatever jobs you compare, unless you are talking a direct like for like i.e. shelf stacking at Sainsburys compared to shelf stacking at Tescos etc

anotherthing,

BDIONU made a claim about the how well (or otherwise) the armed forces are paid and I replied with comparisons to the average national wage.

BDIONU then chose to answer points that hadn't been made using spurious comparisons he created himself but avoided answering the one inconvenient question I did ask.

I'm sure we're all familiar with these debating methods on this thread by now.