PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAB personal radio
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 19:08
G-CPTN
Resident insomniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DAB personal radio

A Sony SRF-S84N personal radio operating from a single AAA battery is my constant companion.

It receives FM and AM transmissions (though I listen almost exclusively to BBC Radio Five on AM medium wave).
In time the AM transmission is scheduled to be turned off in favour of digital broadcasts (which, I believe, are already established - albeit at reduced strength).
In addition, BBC Five Live Extra (that carries Sports reports, including excellent Formula One commentary) is purely digital (I have to listen via the internet on my laptop).
I've been considering the purchase of a DAB personal radio (I'm not interested in a fixed set, nor even a bulky 'portable') and PURE have at least one 'small' DAB portable though it's not cheap and has a fixed rechargeable battery with a 24 hour charge duration (meaning loss of use during mains charging). My current AAA batteries last several days of constant round-the-clock use.
In addition, the PURE website cautions that DAB reception might need a fixed external dipole aerial (and not just a 'portable external' aerial) 'if you have poor mobile 'phone signals').
A general rule of thumb, is that if you already have poor FM or mobile phone reception the chances are you'll have poor DAB reception as well and may need an external DAB aerial.
Yup! there is intermittent mobile reception as I live in a 'hollow' shielded from the (digital) transmitter (20 miles away) by buildings (and terrain - both local and intermediate). The AM transmitter is line-of-sight and two miles away.
So my query is:-
Has anyone got experience of DAB 'personal' radios - either PURE or any other brands? I'm talking about something no bigger than a box of Swan Vestas matches.