PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA proposes 40-48 hour rest after 'ultra-long-range flights'
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 15:54
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
manrow,

I challenge this submission as either we are interested in flight safety through adequate rest or we operate whatever the operator needs for his schedule. Schedules can be designed to be crew sensitive to ensure adequate rest; this is a slippery slope in my opinion!
And your solution is...?

When flying from one slot-restricted airport with night bans to another, similarly bound airfield, how exactly do you vary the schedule during the week to allow better rest periods? I'm not in management but even I can see the difficulty inherent in getting a working plan together with so many constraints - and we haven't even mentioned any commercial ones yet. I'd love to see every slip based on (n * 24) + 12 but I have some idea of how non-trivial that would be to arrange.

I don't like night flights, especially when my body is asleep as well but considering half the globe is dark and the terminator moves at up to 900kts, it would be difficult to avoid *some* lack of sun, even if I owned the aircraft.