PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAVs and King Airs for Army & RAF.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 14:25
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JN,

My point is that the hypothetical question I proposed is closer to yours than you might like to think. You may not agree, but unit numbers, home locations, "ownership" and role can be sensitive, and if I were in the MOD, I would probably sit on the information.

I am all for openness - the public are footing the bill for all of this with their money, and accountability is important. But this happens through your MPs and Parliament: there is no "right to know" this stuff - and "need to know" is not the same as "want to know". As you point out, 51 were for many years in the shadows; whoever this lot are, if their role requires it, they are entitled to the same protection.

Therefore, I'm afraid we simply don't agree. These aircraft are presumably (ie, what do I know? what do I need to know?) going to be deployed on sensitive operations, and until such time as they need to be / are able to be publicised, they should not be if it adds any risk to their operations for the sake of military aviation enthusiasts' hobby. Indeed, I suspect that virtually all UK military aviation enthusiasts would be see it the same way - and for those who don't, I've only got contempt, I'm afraid.

As a result, whilst it might be interesting for all of us to know which aircraft they are, which Sqn they are, and where they're based, we don't need to know. Consequently, FOIA is your friend, it'll tell you all you need to know.

Cheers,

S41