PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The appalling ignorance of Journalists....
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 13:47
L J R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victim of oneself?

Your own problem:

Media Communications Officer of the Station concerned.

....and there lies most of the problem. Your Station Media dude is often not fully informed about what the station actually does (ie the technical bits) that often makes the difference to undertanding the fact or giving innocently mis-leading snippets that the journo often clings to, etc..

Some Journos are 'understanding' of this piece, but often they cannot come to grips with the need for some security in the information that is passed. (or left out!) Due to this they often either 'theorise' - without stating this, or refer to mis-informed snippets of the past to form an apparent authoritative previous source (full of out dated info).

I personally have seen every news piece that I have ever read on my own platform(s) - get some form or mis-quote or mis interpreted 'fact' that leads to a wrong story of some sort. Often this erroneous bit is not a big deal, but when Joe-bag-of-donuts reader puts this and other articles together, the facts become more erroneous.

Other journos and 'writers' are occasionally ex mil (from a long distant past) - and they still think that flying at barnstorming heights is the way ahead etc, 'cos that is how we did in in '53...unfortunately it takes a lot to un-do these sort of mis interpreted or mis-represented opinions.

...so, how are you RAF types going to join the Radio 4 panel. I thought you were banned from such involvement - I also heard somewhere that you are not to contribute to pprune...et al!..as per fltlt mac's post.