PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Pensions (Split from Pay 2009 thread)
Old 21st Nov 2008, 19:35
eglnyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I vote Yes? I'll explain my thinking:-

I might vote Yes if I think there is a risk to my pension if nothing happens and the NATS/NTUS proposal is the only thing anybody is offering which might mitigate some of that risk.

I understand in voting Yes that I might lose some of my pension, although my estimate is not much, and that it is quite possible that another pension crisis will happen between now and then. I take the view that worrying about the next crisis is no reason for not agreeing to this proposal in an attempt to stave of the potential crisis we can already see.

The NTUS have checked the figures and I've taken a look and potentially there is a risk to my pension because NATS could be made insolvent by its pension costs. I can also see that the proposal might mitigate that risk albeit at some cost to me.

But I also have to consider the No option.

I might vote No if I think there is no risk to my pension and this is all a conspiracy by NATS to reduce our pension benefits.

I can't see why NTUS haven't seen through this if it is the case and my checking of the figures supports the view that this is for real.

I might vote No if I think NATS is lying when it says it can't afford our pensions. Again I've looked at the figures and I don't think NATS could afford a big rise in pension costs.

I might vote No if I think there is a better proposal available. So far nobody has a better proposal. The agreed long term wage deal of RPI +0.5 is the best of those I've seen and has some potential but I can't see either side agreeing to that and the proposal has to be acceptable to both sides.

I might vote No if I think NATS can be pushed further. Again I believe my NTUS reps that this is the best deal NATS will agree to because I have no reason to doubt them.

I don't consider whose fault any of this is because that doesn't affect the need for something to be done and doesn't change any of the possibilities.

I don't consider selling NATS or NSL because that is a possibility in the future whatever happens and this doesn't actually make it very much more likely.

Based on all this I have to discard the No option and end up with Vote Yes

Others may not agree with my reasoning and as I've said before I'm not telling anybody how to vote.