PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Return to reciprocal runway advised in emergency ?
Old 21st Nov 2008, 17:11
Final 3 Greens

Mark

I don't think I am overstating the matter, just reacting to statements such as

Now imagine a far draggier powered a/c in the same situation - I'd guess that at the top of the push over the airspeed might be less than VS (but reduced G so still flying), and maybe 5+ seconds to regain flying speed.
And also that a glider needs a 45 degree pitch down at the top of the winch in case of cable break - I don't dispute that, but anybody pitching 45 degrees down in a PA28 following EFATO is going to make a big hole in the ground

My point is that a well trimmed PA28 will regain airspeed before stalling in this situation (particularly as Vy and Vglide are the same figure), so long as the pilot does not hold back pressure - if you think I am overstating this, check it out at a safe altitude. I have.

Of course, a well trained pilot will give the yoke a little push to help.

And we are agreed about securing airspeed and looking for the best possible site (perhaps within 20 degrees either side.)

I would have to be very, very sure of getting back to turnback and realistically that would be likely to be 1,000 feet plus, close to the threshold with a good long runway - and even still I might prefer to land off field.

The other posters recommending keeping options open and making command decisions in context have my vote.

Also, I agree with you about glide approaches, you learn a lot about your aircraft through these, but its not the same as real engine off due (a) some residual thrust and (b) no drag form a windmilling prop - but I don't like practising in the latter configuration!