PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Glass Cockpit!
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2008, 16:44
birrddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering if there is anybody crazy enough to install the Glass Cockpit + Chelton HeliSAS and Autopilot into his R44.
Runway101, why would you ask if anyone would be crazy enough to do this?

Unless this was tongue in cheek I am confused.

I don't see why our fixed wing brethren get to do that in light singles and we can't do it in light helicopters.

I can think of a dozen reasons why we should want to promote that type of technological advancement, even to the point of single pilot IFR (not referring to IMC).

This is not a R44 vs. 206 or other bashing topic; it is specifically address to help the workload and increase situational awareness and safety for pilots who have to fly in busy airspace.

I have found terminal boundaries and frequencies in the Garmin units a great help, why not Wx and TCAS / terrain maps as well for light helicopters?

With regards to the autopilot piece, there are several scenarios where this could be helpful during a flight, particularly when punching holes through the sky or needing to concentrate on navigational tasks, or even if you just need to have to scratch your without risking your life

Traditionally this type of technology has been out of limits because of cost and weight penalties, but in this electronic age of cheaper, more reliable and smaller / light weight gear, one would hope this makes it's way down those of us not flying 2 pilot IMC machines.

Last edited by birrddog; 21st Nov 2008 at 17:12. Reason: made garmin reference more generic