PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar rated controllers in Tasmania?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2008, 16:18
Spodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the radar service is to ground level at Launceston, why isn’t the Launceston airspace only to 4,500 feet, and the Centre “controls” the airspace above – as per the situation at Coffs Harbour?
Erm, what is the magic of A045??? Plenty of scope for hitting the ground under that level I expect. Why not ground level? Why not flight level 125? Maybe what we need is somebody to decide these things independent of the industry/ATC providers/concerned amateurs. Oh wait! We have – the Office of Airspace Regulation.
I really do accept the point that your sector sizes might be too big.
Irrelevant, see above
… the NAS proposal which would have had adequate staffing levels to provide these services into regional airports.
This was one of the most amusing portions of this sorry and desperately misleading document. Snot going to happen that I can see. All of these sectors have been boxed up into a separate section called Regional Services and starved horribly of staff. It seems they have left to wither on the vine, perhaps to build a case for withdrawing services from low income sectors. This prospect must be devastating to those working the sectors, SDE is just a shi!tty stick.
yes, staffing is required but lots of posters on this thread seem to say that it is not possible.
Erm, didn’t I mention this was irrelevant. OAR make a stroke of the pen it has to happen. I can’t make it happen, even if I wanted to.

Why is it the way it is now? Because there have been a series of ass-plucks at the various stages of the numerous half-implemented projects recently that this was a reasonable way to share the resources and responsibilities of enroot and towers. The towers are coping with the current arrangements, and will not generate any staff efficiencies if their airspace is reduced. Enroot is coping, and would require additional resources if their airspace was enlarged, or procedures made more complex. Anybody proposing changes from within ASA would have to justify the cost/benefit and prove the safety. Change seems only likely if imposed from outside ASA on more idealogical grounds.