PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I have a job?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2008, 04:15
Solenta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circle of Life

Aviation is very cyclical. ( believed to swing in 7 year cycles of boom and bust ) Just 12 months ago there was a massive recruitment boom - with most airlines taking on huge numbers of employees.
However, with the recent price of oil, and now the economic recession, the boom has turned to bust, but it should slowly turn around again in about 2 years.
The one good thing about any slowdown is that it allows experience levels to increase again, thereby increasing safety.
If you are just starting a Comm now with +/-150hrs, I would suggest you keep on doing it, even get into an integrated ATPL program. You can equip yourself with the tools to make yourself marketable when the recruitments picks up in a year or two, and you'll be a more knowledgeable pilot. What happened recently in aviation is what happened about 10 years ago in the IT world - everyone rushed out and got MCSE training, because Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers were in short supply and were getting paid a packet, so everyone wanted to be one, for the 'quick buck' - same's happened with pilots recently. Instead of going to uni, or doing a degree, a lot of people rushed out and got a PPL, then a CPL and are now sitting with 200 hrs, all dressed up with nowhere to go.
There are some posts on this forum suggesting you go and instruct - I'm not a fan of the 200ish hour instructor - you don't even know what you don't know at that stage ! Ab-initio, maybe, just to get your hours up a bit, then aim for the C206, Baron, Seneca jobs as P1 - learn to make P1 decisions. Don't chase the 200hr P2 thing - it will come around to haunt you later.
And a word of advice, DON'T waste money on a B1900/B200 rating with 300 hrs - you won't get a B1900/B200 job ( not with us anyway )

The tide will change, and by the time you are 'employable' jobs will be on the market again.
Good luck, remember knowledge is power. A 500 hr pilot with a Frozen ATPL is more valuable than a 500hr Comm.