PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 20:24
Copenhagen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are Cork people always victims? My wife tells me of stories of the Cork GAA feeling victimised, and I always read the same around here....

the usual grab all mentality of the Dublin HQ
And the DAA forces airlines to fly to Dublin. Its got nothing to do with people wanting to fly there, and airlines wanting to fly there. I keep forgetting.

The only airport in Ireland permitted to function unimpeded as per the market place is Dublin
And how long is 10-28 in Dublin?

especially medium to long haul ex-Ireland
How many cities in Europe the size of Cork have Medium and Long Haul routes?

Perhaps I am too narrow minded

Shannon's terminal = €29m

Cork's Terminal = €220m

Dublin's Terminal = an estimated €2,000m
Perhaps quote proper numbers in future, rather than making them up. Google (you may have heard of it) docs proove my point.

Shannon Terminal Development: €36.1m (2000) for a new checkin area, and related roads and car parks. You used IR£ rather than €.

http://www.dublinairportauthority.co...4APPENDIX2.pdf

Cork Terminal

The €220m to quote for Cork Terminal is also porkies, as this is the total fixed assets of the airport.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10494-0.doc (page 7)

Development Cost: €150m (2006)

For

* Area 28,300 sq. metres
* Designed to cater for the expected 3+ million passengers this year and with the capacity to expand to take up to 5 million passengers a year
* 30 check-in desks
* 3 incoming and 2 outgoing baggage belts
* A new multi-storey car park with room for 630 cars has been built with direct access to the new Terminal Building via a covered walkway.

Dublins Terminal

And yet again, your dublin figure isnt accurate... the €2bn figure for dublin includes all reconstruction of the airport, including runway, T1 extension, Pier D, and Terminal 2.

"The T2 project includes a new terminal building and a new departures gate area called Pier E. The T2 development also includes a new energy efficient power plant and an upgrade of the airport’s campus road network. The new terminal is costing €395 million, while the overall cost of the T2 project is €609 million."

T2 The New Passenger Terminal at Dublin Airport

So, you underestimated the investment in Shannon Terminal by 26%,
over estimated the cork cost by 32%,
and overestimated the T2 project by a whopping super duper 70%.

But why let facts and figures get in the way of hysterical venom.

Oh, and I learnt something new today. The DAA had a European Investment Bank loan for €115m for Cork airport - and people here expected them to keep the Cork loan, but lose the asset that it is held against.

Last edited by Copenhagen; 20th Nov 2008 at 20:28. Reason: goddammed English.