PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 19:11
daynehold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Heathrow

B*gger LHR, I'd rather overnight via AMS anytime. UK airports are the pits.

Well said al446. Heathrow is a dump! Flew there last Friday - terminal fascilities are reasonable but apron side looks a slum ready for demolition! If I need to travel inter continental I'd go via Amsterdam in the absence of flights out of Manchseter.

BA never has had a commitment to Manchester or the region known as "not London". If one looks at the catchment area within 70 miles of Manchester there is surely potential to develop services particularly (apart from the current recession) across the Atlantic. Just looked at the Lufthansa website and they operate various services across the Ocean out of Munich which suggests a commitment to a comparable market to Man.

BMIs withdrawl from Manchester only adds salt to the wound.

But what is most galling are the adverts by both BA & BMi for "cheap" flights out of London to the USA. I recognise that to make a profit the routes will be partly dependent on business travellers but within the Manchester catchment area there are a significant number of business travellers who would happily fly from a regional airport if only they still had the choice and services were available. Isn't it ironic that Jet2 (admitedly a low cost carrier) is reporting satisfactory interest in their pending service to New York from LBA?

Lets hope a carrier takes up the challenge and establishes successful East Coast routes out of Man.