PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life insurance Issues
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 17:32
BRS_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life insurance Issues

I am fairly new to the piloting world so I wonder if this sounds normal to anyone.

I tried to take out a life insurance policy the other day and after many questions about what and where I fly (or will fly, like I know in advance) they decided to double my monthly premium and say that they would not cover any serious injurys sustained while being in control of an aircraft. The whole thing makes very litte sense to me as I am apparently fully covered if I am a passenger in any kind of aircraft, even GA.

So that means that If I go on a XC with another pilot and they are flying (assuming single pilot a/c) I am covered but not if I am flying. So I can only assume that my insurance company is implying that I am a terrible pilot who is far more at risk than anyone else

Anyway. I am aware that if you had a standing policy and then changed your occupation you would not need to declare it and cover would continue, but has anyone else encountered this and can you reccomend a course of action, or even better the details of some insurance companies who do not levy these aditional premiums on pilots. I did ask and it is not just a GA thing, even airline work is considered to be a hazardous occupation. We have all heard the stats about how much safer flying is than driving or a number of other regular activities, and maybe I just need to suck it up and pay but would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks