PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France Pilot Strike - where's the news?
Old 20th Nov 2008, 13:57
Witraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me Myself,

I am BA. Joined at 31 DEP. I am currently 51. With the revamped pension I would have left at 55 with an annual pension of about £29 000, If I get to stay until 65 that will grow to about £55 000 plus lump sum. As the pension has been messed with already, I hold no illusions that it might not be tampered with again. With the 65 retirement I have a choice whether to stay or go. The 55 retirement pension figure does not look too healthy to me.
Fortunately for me I enjoy my job and flying. I have read the comments about a life outside aviation and I do have one. I breed horses and whats more am lucky to use my job to visit ranches around the world. Ask me if I will feel the same in 5 years time? I have no idea! Only time will tell, but until then I hope I can continue to enjoy my job and my passion with the horses and continue mixing the two.
There are no guarantee's in life. My father retired after 35 years as a training captain on B707 with Air Zimbabwe. His pension is now in the zillions of dollars, just a shame it equates to worthless and he has not seen a penny for over 5 years.
Oh and if you look at the pensions offered to new recruits with BA, they are really really not very good.
So if you are fortunate to have a good pension, feel blessed and hope the powers that be will leave it intact for you to enjoy.

PS. You could be wise like me and invest seriously in horses. I get a garanteed daily return. Now if I could just change the pile of Manure into some cash

Last edited by Witraz; 20th Nov 2008 at 14:08.