PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Forces Monthly: Is the Tornado Up to it?
Old 20th Nov 2008, 11:34
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr C / Growbag

Sort of my point - the Harrier Force need a break in order to consolidate/learn their other skills that only they can provide (which they obviously haven't otherwise why embark a Spanish or US air group onto a Brit carrier to keep the decks hot?). Put it this way - they may have a few who are proficient at carrier ops (for a PR opportunity ...) but as a Force I would suggest they are no where near the standard of 3 years ago. Skill fade, pure and simple (and to be expected). I'm led to believe they have some first tourists who have done nothing but the war. Not suggesting thats a bad thing but if you have the capacity elsewhere (and I'm sure the original "long term plan" was to replace JFH with the Typhoon) then why not utilise all your assets to get the best capability across all operating conditions. The Tonka mates (and their jets) are more than capable of getting the job done - however, more than a few years on double ops (assuming TELIC continues ....) may see some skill fade in the Tonka fleet as well. Typhoon really needs to step up to the plate and soon. Given that TELIC seems to be less intensive than t'other place you'd think they'd "blood" the Typhoon there first thus leasving the Tornado with just one op to concentrate on.