PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude at impact?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2002, 22:49
Bluejet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm all for thinking things through, and also looking at it form all angles. However I believe the use of the Souix City crash as an example may be flawed in that the aircraft had lost all of its hydraulics. Leaving it impossible to steer without use of asymmetric thrust. it would have been nigh impossible to put the aircraft into a shallow glide and land off. An aircraft in that condition has to be put down near an airfield where there are highly trained emergency services personnel who can, and who did, save many lives.

Other than that, yep, I think that with each successive year of airline flying a pilot finds it harder to accept that he has to make a forced landing at anywhere but an airfield.

Difficult to engineer this scenario in the sim though. We fly round Europe and our guys tend to always find an airfield in the sim to get into, even in an engine off glide. When we do have an all out failure at rotate, everyone so far has reverted to warrior mode and just gone for the best landing into wind, although it has little training value in a valuable resource like a sim; as we have to cram in so much in order to sign off those LPC/OPC etc. A full on degrading situation, requiring a forced landing would take ages to engineer and burn a load of sim time for what is, in reality, an almost impossibility.

However I am open to suggestions.