PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude at impact?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2002, 22:41
'%MAC'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m probably going to regret posting this. While in transition to a new aircraft type I had the pleasure of training with some junior members of our airline. One chap, upon loosing an engine around VsubR was obviously going to roll over on his back, as most new-hires did. Instead, this enterprising young man reduced the power on the good engine and ‘landed’ straight ahead. This was obviously not what the check airman had wanted. I thought it was a great example of thinking outside the box, realizing one’s limits, and choosing the most survivable scenario based on all available information. My comments obviously did nothing to quell the check airman’s admonition. The young man eventually learned how to perform Vsub1 cuts spot on and I hope hasn’t lost his ability to see alternative choices when situations try to force us into ‘group think’.

You do state a valid point, this is a very difficult area to broach with either the training department or operations, so much of aviation is procedures. While jumpseating a pilot said, “I am no longer a pilot, I am a thespian”, it’s all about callouts and following the script. In the case of UAL 232 and Concord, I think both crews improvised to the best of their ability, but for the Grace of God…

Last edited by '%MAC'; 2nd Apr 2002 at 22:43.