PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formation Rotary Flying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2002, 22:25
eden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I can't help feeling that formation is misplaced with helos unless in a tactical scenario. I totally understand the concept in Fast jets but helo's it is just a way for helicopter pilots to add an extra bit of adrenaline to the body's system. Having said that I enjoyed my time flying formation displays around UK & Europe in 95 -96, so I should shut up really, especially as I enjoyed the adrenal rush so much. I suppose the simplest way to describe my mode of concentration in formation is that it requires an absolute level of trust in those you are formating with.

Moving on from that - the concentration is focused on the pre-planned, practised, discussed, re-planned, practiced and further practiced flying that should become engraved in your head. For those situations of change and variety then it is about working that bit harder to stay very focused on the blade tips of both aircraft and gratuitous use of peripheral cues combined with the ever present and regularly practiced line up features for the aircraft you are flying and the formation pattern you wish to achieve.

Anticipation, unswerving awareness of your machine's performance capability, practice and more practice plus maybe the odd bit of additional practice will keep you safe.

Close formation - during 1/2 rotor span spacing in 360 Wingovers (not loops) requires all the concentration of making the other other a/c your whole world and nothing but your world.

I could keep going, but it is going to get boring, if not already, writing about it ....... someone bring me a gazelle down to Goodwood and let's go and play !