PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blocked Eustachian Tube
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 05:51
lpman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still convinced there's a muscular influence in this. Periods of tension and stress seem to trigger my ET problems. Also when I sleep (100% laydown position) my ears unblock. Funny...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, i find it sorta surprising that you seem surprised that there is a correlation between laydown sleeping & unblocking your ears if you have eustachian tube disorder. I have been diagnosed with ETD for 4 years now. Possibly misdiagnosed from what i'm reading on this board... Like a lot of people posting i'm convinced it will never go away. I first got the symptoms right after a bad flu, which i've read on here by others is a way it sometimes starts. Before i even went to a doctor the way i found the most relief was when my ears got really blocked painful in my forehead got major headaches i took a decongestant & then lied down with my left ear ( which is the problem ear ) face down or on my back with my head tilted to the left). I always do so on a couch which has been my new bed for the past 4 years. With my head elevated & tilted to the left i can feel liquid flow down my ear/ET & down the back of my throat. I also can feel liquid drip down from the top of my head & if i put my head straight up can feel liquid flowing down my eyeball on the inside. Am i the only ETD person that feels the liquid running down right after taking a decongestant ? everytime i pop my ear i feel that cold slushy stuff flowing. I've always just assumed that people with ETD have a problem with there eustachian tube balancing out during the day with your head in various upright positions & that it only drains good from lying down with your head elevated & tilted where the eustachian tube is sorta forced into an open draining position. I always have noticed the more i sleep the less ETD problems i have the next day, and the less i sleep the more. So when i dont get much sleep i try to make time for 10 minute naps where i layback with my head elevated & tilted.

I read one person on here talk about impacted teeth & the jawbone grinding on them as a possible cause of ETD. I hope that is correct as i'm scheduled soon to have my 4 wisdom teeth removed. That would be great if that solved my eustachian tube problems.