PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Nervous Flyer Thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 23:27
archieraf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to be able to add to your repertoire G SXTY

Thanks also for your advice and reassurance. I never like to bother the crew as I know they have plenty other things to do and I don't like to draw attention to myself and make a fuss. Much better to sit quietly (terrified) and hope the drinks trolley comes round very soon! A small glass of wine certainly helps the situation for me.

It definately helps when there are announcements to explain anything unusual or if there is going to be a bumpy spell during the flight, then I realise what is going on is normal, know what to expect and it's easier to try and keep calm, so thanks to all crews who do that. What I'm always afraid of is grabbing hold of the person sitting next to me. I almost did that recently when we suddenly hit turbulence, it was the kind that gives you that reflex action to hold on and I almost grabbed the arm of the man next to me instead of the armrest!

I take several flights every other month and some I manage to cope better than others. I do think that the increased security measures and the lack of continuity, even from one trip to the next from the same airport, add to the stress of flying these days. It's much harder to arrive at an airport and feel your able to relax prior to a flight now than it used to be.

One day I WILL enjoy a flight from start to finish.

archieraf