PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 19:21
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shy Torque,

I could comment (after consulting those in Authority current on the relevant Type) on Andover, Hercules, HS125 and BAe 146 incidents/accidents as I had direct experience of operating all those Aircraft Types. With Fast Jet and Helicopter incidents and accidents I consulted with the relevant Air Staff and Engineering Staff and passed my comments through them for approval prior to submission.

With regard to Incidents; I often found that a more "Broad Brush" approach was necessary. One example will suffice:

I was sitting alone in the FS Office one morning (GFSO was absent at Staff College) when a young (and very smart) LAC from the Movements Cell came in with a single sheet of A4 paper and said "We think this is for you Sir". The sheet of A4 held a cartoon which had been Faxed from RAFG and showed a Tornado Aircraft with "Tractor Tyres" crossing a newly ploughed field and a sign post saying "RAF XXXXX" 1/2 mile.

I phoned the SFSO at XXXXX who drove around the Airfield perimeter and located the Aircraft tracks in the undershoot area of the main runway. I then drafted a suitably worded signal from SASO to the Stn Cdr RAF XXXXX asking why no Incident Signal had been received regarding the touchdown by a Tornado in the undershoot - what damage had been suffered by the aircraft; and what further action he proposed to take over this Incident.

I then briefed SASO who reviewed the evidence and signed the signal.

It was not a 1st Tourist or somebody refreshing on type - it was a Sqn Exec who had failed to report the incident!!

I believe there were "ramifications".

Doubtless you will think my actions were reprehensible.

Last edited by cazatou; 19th Nov 2008 at 19:32.