PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Nervous Flyer Thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 18:04
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something like machine gun fire hitting the fuselage"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's priceless archieraf, thanks for sharing it with us. I fly the same aircraft type (Q400) and will have to remember that line for my own p.a. next time we get prop icing!

Like most funny noises on aeroplanes, ice being thrown off the propellers sounds a lot more dramatic than it really is. The props on the Dash have electric heating mats which are switched on whenever we are likely to encounter icing conditions. These are very effective, and ice is usually melted before it has a chance to build up. Occasionally however, ice builds quickly enough to form sizeable chunks, which are then thrown off by a combination of heat and centrifugal force. Standard procedure is then to increase prop rpm from cruise to maximum, which prevents ice re-accumulating. All perfectly harmless (you may have noticed that the fuselage has ice-protection panels in line with the props specifically for this) but it can be a bit disconcerting, particularly for nervous passengers.

My advice if you are nervous, or want to know what that funny noise is that spooks you, is to ask the cabin crew if you can visit the flightdeck at the end of the flight. Time permitting, we are all happy to have a quick chat after we've landed, and if we can help put your mind at rest, it's good PR for us and will hopefully make you feel happier next time you fly.

Flying for a living, there's a risk for us pilots of getting a bit blasé and forgetting that some of our passengers fly very rarely - and a few are absolutely terrified by the experience. Those people have my utmost sympathy.