PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class One Run down
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 14:42
Ouseburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my medical CAA Class 1 recently and this is basically what happens during your visit to Aviation House:

When you arrive at Aviation House you get a security pass from the main reception desk and any bags you have with you will be tagged. You are then directed to the reception of the medical department where you provide them with some personal identification (either passport or photo driving licence) and the forms you were instructed to print out from the CAA's website when making the booking. You are then directed to the waiting room. There are lockers where you can store your personal belongings in during your visit.

You are then called to the first series of tests by a nurse. This nurse will do all the following tests:

- Height & weight.

- Urine test: a small paper cup (espresso sized) is then put into a hatch and you are instructed to go to the toilet where there is a cubicle marked for urine testing. The other side of the hatch is in this cubicle. You are required to half-fill the cup and return in into the hatch and go back to the waiting room when done. This tests for numerous things, including blood, diabetes and protein.

- Spirometry: The first test measures the volume of your lungs; you are given a tube to hold on to and are told to take a deep breath in and exhale normally through the tube. The second test requires you to exhale as quickly as you can through the same tube, this is measured 3 times. The criteria to pass requires you to exhale 70% of your lung capacity within the first 1 second of blowing. I found this test easier than anticipated, the nurse basically said that unless you have a respiratory condition then everyone does OK.

- ECG: You are asked to remove your shirt and lie down on the bed. 8 electrodes are connected to your chest and 2 to your ankles. The machine then takes reading of your heartbeat.

- Audiogram: You are asked to sit in a closed booth and to wear a set of over-ear headphones. You are given a button to be held in your hand. A series of low and high pitched tones are then played at random through the headphones and you are required to press the button whenever you hear a sound.

- Finger prick blood test: The nurse will prick your finger and take a tiny dab of your blood. This is to measure the your haemoglobin count and cholesterol. I was told that whatever the result of the cholesterol test, it is only done on an advisory basis.

You then return to the waiting room for the final 2 tests, which are the physical examination and the eye sight test:

- Physical exam: A doctor calls you in to their room, explains what they are about to do and asks you to strip down to your underwear and lie on the bed. You are given the option of having a chaperone present. The doctor will then check your pulse in various places on your body, check reflexes across your body and use a stethoscope to listen to your heart, abdomen etc. You are prodded for a while to check for stuff like hernias. The doctor also checks your mouth and ears at this point. You are then asked to stand up and whilst your eyes are closed, to put your arms in front of you and stand on one leg. This is to check your balance. You are then told to put your trousers back on and the doctor will then ask you to bend over and try touch your toes and whilst your bent over they will, what I can only describe as karate chop your back and ask you if it hurts. The doctor then checks your blood pressure and are told to put all your clothes back on. The doctor then asks you a few question about your medical history. Genitals and rectum are at no point checked during the physical examination.

- Ophthalmologist: The tests the ophthalmologist does are basically very similar to what a normal high street optician carries out, but perhaps just a tad more thorough. If you wear glasses and/or contact lenses, they will be checked.

If all is OK then you are instructed to return to the waiting room and wait whilst your certificate is printed out. Be patient, it took them around 45 minutes to get mine printed!

Last edited by Ouseburn; 15th Dec 2008 at 11:08.