PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 12:27
billy164

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right Philipat, at present I have nothing to complain about because I fought hard, its just a shame I had too, there is a problem using two airports they know about it and they should have resolved it or at the very least warned passengers.

Economically though I agree with 95% of what you said in your last post. I am not sure that SB is interested in asset stripping, for him I believe (I am frequently wrong) that its a question of pride not finances.

What I disagree about though is about a medium way, I think most long-haul airlines are in that category, I can't afford to fly a premium airline, of course I would love to fly in my own private cabin on an A380 but its unlikely to happen.

Surely the point is that Alitalia only has to be as good as the other decent European carriers, there is enough passengers around (perhaps not at the moment) I would love to know how most bookings for intercontinental flights are done if its internet price comparison sites then as long as Alitalia repairs its reputation and can offer competitive prices, they will get passengers. For example my preference to go to Brasil is always Air France but on the A330 because of the seat configuration, (Silly I know, but there is even a premium I am willing to pay for it!) BA has the most incredibly polite and attentive stewardesses Alitalia could provide fantastic food, it doesn't take much to create a niche, I don't want to sound trite but I really believe it doesn't really take that much.

Of course for a rich business class user such items are trivial but for most of the plane these little things can make a huge difference if the prices are all the same. The best thing is not everyone will agree so the passengers will be shared around.

I understand that the economics of long-haul are based on Premium passengers for the solutions here I need to defer to passengers who have experience in this area.

Alitalia must first of all decide where it wants to be, and what it wants to do, and position itself ruthlessly and aggressivly in that place the competition is not relevant, then it must be made clear that after this 'deal' the Italian state has no further involvement, then anyone connected to the 'new' Alitalia must understand they will NEVER be bailed out again. Management and staff must realise that the rest of us work under the pressure that if we don't give our best it will be our last day at work so should they none of us has a god given right to keep our jobs no matter how we act!

I have bored you all enough, I don't think I have anything more to say about Alitalia, I just wish all those employees who are hard working and conscientious the best off luck.

Finally I have written to senior management at Alitalia to compliment the lady who helped me, to praise her professionalism and to tell them what an asset she is to the company.

Will anyone make the effort to tell her a grateful customer wrote or given a pat on the back or a well done????????? The more happy helpful staff you encounter in a business the more likely the answer is yes.