PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Info for those (low-timers) seeking a job in Namibia
Old 19th Nov 2008, 10:06
BBN RADAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey good to hear all the interest, I'm getting a lot of PMs so I'll post the responses here to share the info again.

Q: Do I need 210 time to get a job?
A: It will help to have a some 210 time - even just a couple of hours but it is not essential. You will have to do some 210 time in a flight test to validate your licence anyways.

On another note - most people don't realise that the validation flight test is (or was) the same as the flight test for an initial Namibian licence. I did the flight test and all the paperwork for a validation and then a couple of months later I showed the ladies at the DCA my proof of passing all my Aussie CPL & ATPL subjects and they gave me a proper Namibian licence. A validation is tied to a work-permit so if you have the licence it makes your life easier in the long run as you don't have to worry about your validation expiring if you let your work-permit lapse. Sorry if that is difficult to understand!

Q: I'm interested in working in Namibia, but only for 6 months. Will I be hired with this in mind?
A: Most employers would probably expect and be happy with a 12 month term. I would think you would be cutting your employment prospects short if you were upfront about your plan to only be there for 6 months.

Q: I might be bringing some family over to Namibia. Is Windhoek safe?
A: Windhoek is mostly very safe as is the whole of Namibia. Namibia has a very low population which helps in this regard. Violent crime against foreigners is quite rare but a few muggings do occur. As long as you use some commonsense you should be able to avoid them. I never felt in danger during daylight hours - even in the dodgy parts of town! But be more cautious at night.

Q: Can you please provide me with some contacts?
A: I'm not gonna hand out contacts so people can bombard them with e-mails from their computer in Europe or Australia. Only once you are in the country and sipping on a delicious Windhoek/Tafel Lager will I contemplate giving out a contact. As said before, emailing a CV is pretty useless.

What's that you say? I might take a week or more for you to send me an email once you are in the country and then for me to reply with said contact? Awwww cry me a river. Lighten up - use this time to get to know the Norwegian nurses staying at the Cardboard Box Backpackers. Norwegian nurses? Yep, usually a big group of them at the Box from Jan-Apr. Oh yeah, Giggady gig.

Q: But isn't going all the way over to Namibia without the certainty of a job a bit of a risky maneuvre?
A: Yep.

Hey, it's worked for me and hundreds of others in Nam and Bots. I'd say 75% of the interview is just being there! To show that you've travelled that far a distance in search of a job and some adventure shows your commited right?!

Q: Where's the best place to stay while in town?
A: In Windhoek, the Chameleon backpackers and the Cardboard box are probably the best and cheapest places to stay. I was at "The Box" from the beginning so I like that one better (the bar is bigger and stays open later! )

Someone else asked why I didn't talk about the companies in Swakopmund. I was based in Swakop for a few months before Windhoek and thought the flying outta there was great fun. If you get a job with a company that only has a base there then I think the flying would get a little monotonous. Sossusvlei scenics day after day after day. The companies that I have mentioned in my other posts allow you to fly all over the country and stay at lodges everywhere. An overall better and more fulfilling experience I think.

Take it easy! I'm gonna hit the hay.