PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2008, 05:47
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
".....couple of blips on the EEG (electrodes on head) that needed to be referred to further neurologists. After a few weeks my application was rejected on the grounds that I may have a 3-4% higher chance of epilepsy than the average person (I have no family or personal history of epilepsy)."

Well, I'm not a medical examiner (or a neurologist) but it it really was just "...a couple of blips" and "...a 3-4% higher chance of epilepsy...." with no history of convulsive episodes sounds very speculative, to say the least.

Can you get hold of the original EEG and report? If so, I would suggest that you have it independently re-evaluated. If the abnormalities were very minor and of questionable significance then you should be able to get someone to say so. But to get the conclusions of the original Class one annulled (which is effectively what you would have to do) may take some legal gymnastics and a great deal of determination. You would need to show that this conclusion was unreasonable (which is possible).

Unfortunately, as in so many of these things, once the possibility has even been raised, you're often stuck with the label for life no matter how absurd it may be.