PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying faster because of decreasing winds
Old 19th Nov 2008, 04:19
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Chris, No, I think it's you that unintentionally misrepresented my position.

I've kept out of the minimum GS debate entirely. I understand the concept and have no doubt it works. I shall therefore, when on approach.....Follow my companies SOPs and do as I'm told!! If I'm ever put in a policy making position, I will revisit the whole matter and...Follow the manufacturers recommendations!!

All I have been doing is trying to do is point out several conceptual fallacies to which you seem to subscribe, encapsulated by one of your first statements:-

Inertia is a function of GS, not IAS.
Which was untrue at several levels, not least of which being you didn't know the difference between Inertia, Momentum and Kinetic energy, and that you constantly allude to an aircrafts ground speed somehow effecting it's aerodynamic performance.

The only relationship that effects the aircraft is between it and the air around it. Carrying extra airspeed to allow for changes in that relationship is valid. Basing the amount to carry on a fixed datum like the earths surface is also valid. Making pseudo-scientific statements about "Kinetic Energy" and how it should be based on the earths surface is not.

The fact that you still don't get it is shown by your mocking tone towards SR71 when you said-

SR71 will continue concentrating manfully to regain his target IAS, which he need not have lost hold of in the first place. While doing so, he may have ample time to discuss whether his "scalar" kinetic energy, and the amount it needs to increase, is relative to an unsteady atmosphere, or to a stable platform like the earth's surface; I shall leave him to that.
Dude, it's that unstable atmoshere we need to keep flowing over our wings, and it is are IAS that is a measure of that flow.The amount you need to change (or, in your method, the extra you need to hold in the first place) is equal to the amount the air is going to change it's velocity relative to your aircraft.

It was you who started (incorrectly) throwing scientific terms around, don't get snitty with someone for correcting you (BTW framer, thank you!).

I also note that you are a greater authority than Boeing on how to fly Boeings, and anyone who doesn't fly as you recommend is open to mockery and criticism

Last edited by Wizofoz; 19th Nov 2008 at 04:35.