PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salt in an already deep wound!
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2008, 13:34
de la Mare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Student88, people post on here all the time to express their feelings and opinions but more so people post seeking advice. And if you could read between the lines the guy is also asking for some advice/help whilst expressing vulgarity of airline training school’s empty promises and misleading facts. He’s not asking for BA or Thomas Cook or any other high fliers, he’s asking for a job that makes 2 years of sheer hard work and an extreme amount of money bring home a simple pay check and a beginning.

Many of you say "take off your rose tinted glasses", "wake up an get on with it" and so on - sure there are no rose tinted glasses now, it was stated they began to fade a year on from starting the course but when your presented with figures and shown the "successful students in jobs within 6 months" board no-one would EVER think to look how many times students names were repeated on that board. And when flying is what you really want to do and the training is what you have to do to get that job no-one listens to the voice of reason or doubt until it is too late. And Skippy is not the only one to have made that mistake, everyone does it because people only hear what they want to hear and the airline training schools feed it to them.

Timzsta “Skippy - stop whingeing and do something about it! If don't want to or can't do anything about it get out of aviation. You need to wake and smell the roses.”

My rebuttal to this uncouth remark (and what I can only assume is an attempt to “wake” member Skippy up and get on with it so to speak) is this: it is so easy to type such things and give little consideration to what lengths the thread beginner has perhaps already gone to before even writing their first post.

I know for a fact that this member has applied for a job in Africa that would keep him away from his family for 5 weeks at a time just so that his training will have not gone completely to waste and to be able to bring home a pay check to help support his family. I think this is a very realistic member here and perhaps even (in another view) slightly desperate in the sense of not wanting to let that rosy dream completely fade away, although it’s pretty much gone. No-one would ever think that their training will leave them on some remote dusty airfield in the middle of Africa. Could any of you who have families, wives or partners imagine doing the same?

Also again very simple to say if you can’t get a job in aviation get out and get one else where. But realistically who wants to employ someone who hasn’t worked for 2 years? It is not as easy as it sounds.

If you have useful tips, advice, constructive suggestions then please post them here, and thank you to those who already have. I’m sure Skippy and many other low hours pilots would be exceptionally grateful. If you have something stroppy to write then I suggest you don’t waste the time or energy; I respect your opinions, really I do, but I don’t think it’s right to kick a man when he’s already down, I prefer to offer a hand especially if it gives them a chance of finding work in the UK and they can go home to their family at the end of the day.