PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing after Chelsea v Liverpool match
Old 18th Nov 2008, 13:33
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 439 Likes on 232 Posts
Now along comes ****ehawk with his helicopter and not only does he stir up the air but he's also producing quite a lot of exhaust efflux
Speak for yourself, mate!

Are Jellycopter and Shy Torque in anyway related? I'm only asking because they both seem to have experienced phenomena that seems uncommon.
Beater,

No, I'm not related to Jellycopter, but he and I flew together at one time. Albeit not since mid August 1987 when I claimed to have taught him something in a Puma. My old logbook gives no useful clue what it was but it took two hours, possibly something about low-level nav.

Ever noticed the condensed water vapour from wing tip vortices as a jet aircraft pulls hard in a display during very humid conditions? This rotor induced fog is the same thing as far as I can see. The vortices at the rotor tips cause the formation of a foggy "curtain". It's not common but I've seen it a number of times at the bottom of an IMC approach to field locations. Worst time though was at Kai Tak airport during a period of extremely heavy showers. I was asked to hover taxy across the runway and hold but shortly after crossing we began to go IMC in the hover. I had to carry out a very expeditious zero speed landing using the only ground reference available on the airfield, which was the edge of some tarmac, off to my right. After landing on, ATC asked me to confirm my location and I couldn't give it for a few minutes because we were IMC on the ground. When it suddenly cleared, we were just outside the Fire section.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 18th Nov 2008 at 14:07.