PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA proposes 40-48 hour rest after 'ultra-long-range flights'
Old 18th Nov 2008, 12:47
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BelArgUSA,

Some good advice.

It is about time your airline pay you by company position/seniority, not by airplane size.
Mine does based on years service, although obviously Captains get more than FOs although a longhaul (777, 747-400) pilot will be paid more than a shorthaul (A320,737) pilot of the same seat and seniority. While many of us (particularly on shorthaul ), would be keen to equalise pay, the company won't have it as the beancounters will see they have particularly expensive shorthaul pilots and the union won't have it as they will see they have particularly cheap longhaul pilots. Market forces and nobody wins.

I used to find going West or South outbound worked best for me. Much as I loved going to India, I always struggled with East! Operating to the Eastern seaboard was a killer on your fifth or sixth EWR or PHL a month so an extra day downroute somewhere like MCO or ATL often made all the difference. In the case of the latter, you would sometimes find you only had 24 hours but you'd then get a third pilot.