PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA against ID Cards - TUC Congress
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2008, 12:46
golftangofox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m a new poster on this board but have been following this particular debate for a while and with great interest.

FYI, I am a Trade Union Rep with a strong opposition stance to implementation of the scheme, not only for aviation workers but as a whole. Unfortunately grass roots opposition is not matched by those higher up the Union food chain.

We have been advised that because this is already an act of parliament all that the Union hierarchy will do is ‘engage’ with ministers. If this was Tory legislation we would have coaches organised and placards in our hands! A bit of civil unrest did for the Poll Tax after all.

The white paper issue is interesting (Bruce Wayne) but would it be effective? I just wish the bloody *Trade Union movement would get its arse into gear over this.

*The ones that are affiliated to Labour, note – BALPA are not.

Consider this: The electoral commission figures reveal that Labour has received approx £30 million in donations from the Trade Unions since 2005 – 90% of its cash donations! Why do we continue to bankroll them? We have the reach and the clout that NO2ID (Bless 'em!) lack. Let’s question the government’s policy on this in a big way. Mobilise the movement, awake the nation and let’s try to save our freedom and liberties. Yeah, fat chance, I know.

Another point to consider: The big problem we have is that we're required under current EU law to have an ID cards scheme and an ID database that will mesh with a European-wide one, with biometric data and DNA samples. Lisbon Treaty Section 3 of article 69 gives the EU power to force Britain to adapt ID cards without our parliament being able to reject!

Welcome to the brave new world, but as call100 would say; ‘The fight goes on’