PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2008, 10:13
jez d

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Mattuk1

I'm sorry to hear about your problems gaining a Class 1 medical certificate. While I don't profess to have any particular knowledge on the requirements/restrictions relevant to your case, you should be aware that the European Aviation Safety Agency will be taking control of pilot medical requirements in the near future and are currently consulting on the details. A Notice of Proposed Amendment (NPA) has been published on EASA's website. The link is http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/r/doc...202008-17c.pdf

The relevant section is reproduced below. It would appear that if you can't gain an unrestricted Class 1, you could at least get a multi-crew restricted Class 1, which would mean you could fly multi-crew operations. The caveat to this is that I am no expert on the subject, but reading the details below suspect you have more than a fighting chance of achieving your goals. I wish you the best of luck.

Jez

AMC A to MED.B.060
NEUROLOGY class
1 medical certificates

Epilepsy
1.1. A diagnosis of epilepsy is disqualifying, unless there is unequivocal evidence of a syndrome of benign childhood epilepsy associated with a very low risk of recurrence, and unless the applicant has been free of recurrence and off treatment for more than 10 years. One or more
convulsive episodes after the age of 5 are disqualifying. In the case of an acute symptomatic seizure, which is considered to have a very low risk of recurrence, a fit assessment may be considered.

1.2. An applicant may be assessed as fit with a multipilot limitation if:
(i) there is a history of a single afebrile epileptiform seizure;
(ii) there has been no recurrence after at least 10 years off treatment;
(iii) there is no evidence of continuing predisposition to epilepsy.

Conditions with a high propensity for cerebral dysfunction
An applicant with a condition with a high propensity for cerebral dysfunction should be assessed as unfit. A fit assessment may be considered after full evaluation.

Clinical EEG abnormalities
3.1. Electroencephalography is required when indicated by the applicant’s history or on clinical grounds.
3.2. Epileptiform paroxysmal EEG abnormalities and focal slow waves should be disqualifying.

Neurological disease
Any stationary or progressive disease of the nervous system which has caused or is likely to cause a significant disability is disqualifying. However, in case of minor functional losses associated with stationary disease a fit assessment may be considered after full evaluation.

Episode of disturbance of consciousness
In the case of a single episode of disturbance of consciousness, which can be satisfactorily explained, a fit assessment may be considered.

Head injury
An applicant with a head injury which was severe enough to cause loss of consciousness or is associated with penetrating brain injury should be reviewed by a consultant neurologist. A fit assessment may be considered if there has been a full recovery and the risk of epilepsy is sufficiently low.

Spinal or peripheral nerve injury
An applicant with a history or diagnosis of spinal or peripheral nerve injury should be assessed as unfit. A fit assessment may be considered if neurological review and musculoskeletal assessments are satisfactory.