PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2008, 09:25
mattuk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice kindly requested!

Hi All,

My name is Matt Avery, I'm 23 years old and British. Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the inevitable length of this post, but thanks to all who read it as your advice will be much appreciated.

When I was 18 I was all "ready to go" on Oxford's ATPL training programme (zero to ATPL). However, when I took my Class 1 medical I had a couple of blips on the EEG (electrodes on head) that needed to be referred to further neurologists. After a few weeks my application was rejected on the grounds that I may have a 3-4% higher chance of epilepsy than the average person (I have no family or personal history of epilepsy). They issued me with a Class 2 certificate, but my choices were to either appeal and I guess get another consultant to check me over and if fine appeal to the CAA, or to leave a resonable amount of time (say 3 years) and come back to try again. I studied for a degree and am now in full-time work. This year I contacted the CAA to take my Class 1 medical again, and they told me I can't do so based on the previous case. This is despite the fact that they have dropped the EEG on Class 1's and is no longer a requirement.

Without wanted to sound dramatic, being a pilot has been my dream since I was a kid & I wondered if anyone out there has any advice? I am very phsyically active and go to the gym 4-5 times per week, so I know I would say this but I personally believe I'm physically able to fly a plane.

If anyone has advice on how I should take this forward I'd really appreciate your input.

Kind regards,