PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Portable Traffic Collision System. (PCAS)
Old 18th Nov 2008, 04:07
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr

I should have not been facetious. OK, no furphies.

1. Does the G495 allow a legitimate IFR letdown.

2. Here's some more rubbish to ponder. JCP page 13/14 (I have it on good authority that ASA who drafted some of the doc would do ANYTHING to reduce the backup navaids so what you are about to read is the best they could manage). Rubbish, furphie - nay, fact.

8.5 Future Backup Navigation Network
In the expectation that most aircraft will in time be equipped with suitable GNSS
navigation avionics (as part of the ADS-B avionics system), Airservices proposes to
decommission just under half of the existing NDBs and VORs, ensuring that a
‘backup’ network of some 165 navaids remains. This backup network would provide a continuation of navigation services in the event of a GNSS failure. It has been designed to ensure that IFR operations can continue if GNSS is unavailable.

No mention of the 495 on the yoke

Unfortunately the CNS / ATM model has to be designed around ICAO requirements and safety of fare paying pax. If you'd like a pic of the backup navaid network, I'll link it but I assure you the NDB is alive and well and even more so since the JCP passed away.

Don't blame me, I'm only the messenger, nor is it 'rubbish' - it's fact. Your nav charges will include ASA keeping a lot more navaids going a lot longer than planned.

EDITED TO ADD

Pre-that word VOR 88 NDB 200 ADS-B 28
Post-that word 45 120 39

So there are now 43 VOR and 80 NDB in limbo as post-that word is likely defunct.

Last edited by james michael; 18th Nov 2008 at 04:23. Reason: Add some numbers