PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mexico City Learjet Crash . . .
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2008, 03:10
WilhE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confusion

Elias, I think you are confusing what is happening.

First: The Mexican government is not "handing over all transcripts and flight data so the journalist decide who is to blame".
Mexican authorities had two options (a) carry out all the investigation themselves in complete secrecy and give the results many months from now or (b) be open, invite other Countries to participate in the investigation and provide periodic updates to the public.
They decided to do the latter and an my opinion, this is the way to go. The information the aeronautical authorities have provided has been extremely valuable because it is not based on opinions but on facts.

Second: it is incorrect to state that the investigation has concluded and "it is very convenient to end the investigation like this". The investigators have repeated many times it will take months to close the investigation. Updates are updates. They are NOT the conclusion.

I agree that many times journalist tend to misrepresent the facts (at least in this case, but there are other cases as well) and also that they lack knowledge to provide sensible opinions. However, democracy and freedom of speech allow that just about everyone can give their opinion even if incorrect. Actually we (the participants of this forum) are also giving opinions and truth be told, in many cases they are not better that those of the journalists.