PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Portable Traffic Collision System. (PCAS)
Old 17th Nov 2008, 22:37
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Scurvy D. Dog, how do I go about it? Simple – by communicating to the industry the cost advantages in removing some of the aids. For example, the NDB at Shellys is being removed, without even a squawk from the industry.

The problem with the JCP is that it mixed the cost advantages of removing the ground based aids, with the cost of ADS-B. Of course, they are quite separate. I totally support removing ground based aids where they do not improve safety in a cost effective way. In fact, I was told by people involved with the JCP at CASA that the greatest saving is from removing ground based aids, and they thought the only way they could convince the industry to support this was by offering the bait of “free” ADS-B.

Of course it is better to keep the ground based aids and ADS-B separate, and decide what can cost effectively be removed in an objective and scientific way. That is what I will be doing. I believe that tens of millions of dollars can be saved by removing a number of the ground based aids.

I should also point out that because I make my statements under my own name, these statements have more credibility than those written by people who constantly hide behind anonymity. If you really believe in what you are saying, there is nothing to stop you from posting under your own name on this site, and actually making statements to the powers that be. Then you will have influence.