PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 21:14
Hussar 54

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TOPBUNK

You're right and you're wrong....

1 - As regards functions, that's exactly the problem....Far too many third party supplied functions at grossly inflated prices...Trust me - I've heard of some the scams going on there....

2 - Crewing levels...Almost agree with you that it's hard to compare AZ with, say, your own company and the others you mention....But if the airframe mix is different than the others, then who decided the route / fleet structure ? Certainly not the AZ flight crews....And as mentioned in previous posts, flight time for crews at AZ is almost at maximum, and salary scales are well below other legacy carriers...And who decided that MXP should be a major hub - when hardly any business people choose it for visits to Milan because of the distance from the city and the notorious wx there....Not the AZ flight crews I'm certain !

3 - A bit harsh to say that AZ is "morally" bankrupt....Politically perhaps, Italian politics and politicians are " morally " bankrupt....AZ would normally be considered as " financially " bankrupt without the ongoing state aid....But I don't for one second think that AZ receiving State subsidies will threaten anyone's existence in BA / LH / AF-KL....However, if you want to discuss whether the incalcuable State aid and subsidies provided by the governments behind Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Gulf Air, etc may bring pain to BA / CX / QF / AF-KL / et al, then let's start tonight.....And notice I didn't include LH - who seem to have absolutely no problem with Brussels when it comes to Monopoly market positions and avoiding penalties for price-fixing...You could be forgiven for thinking that the relationship between LH and the Brussels mafia is even thicker than that between some Italian politicos / AZ management and some of AZ's 3rd Party suppliers....

As I said on Page 2 or Page 3 or whatever of this thread - what really sticks in the throat with AZ's current position is just how much some corrupt Italian politicians and their cronies in the banks and other parts of the Italian businessworld stand to make out of this ' survival plan '....

And at the expense of many of AZ's current staff, the majority of whom just get on with it, day in, day out, as we all do....