PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Fallen
Thread: The Fallen
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 18:14
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
History shows that, which is why this film is of the moment, and probably the only people who will benefit are those who took part - who knows.
The ones who count.

When I left my duties as an analyst for a major international defence based aerospace conglomerate, I went into the media. I went from compo coffee to latte in the blink of an eye. I saw at first hand how it hijacks even the most worthy of agenda for its own ends, and when something else comes along, it discards it without thinking. We see how baby P fills the headlines because the media can rant about it in ways it thinks the reader/viewer can assimilate. But it wasn't until last week that the UK g'ment only finally ratified the last Convention on the UN Charter of Children's Rights. I don't know what was more shameful, the fact it took us so long or the fact that it went unreported by a media which already had one eye on the breaking, more 'juicy' Harringay story and didn't want to detract from its focus.

http://www.crae.org.uk/pdfs/Final_CR...ing_obs_08.pdf

Rather amusingly, and this related to my particular field, we once had a household name who wrote a column for us. The editor and the publisher both assumed that the other had told the aforesaid household name that his contract wasn't going to be renegotiated and for a few months, as the months wound down, all was blissfully quiet. Until in the final month, when household name read his faxed ghost written column. He rang up and said "Right, umm yes.. ahhh, thats fine. But I don't understand the bit at the end which says I'm now taking a break for the foreseeable future..".

So, although I do understand where you're coming from, and its you and your family that is important, I hope the media is held to account in how it handles the issue of veterans affairs and in remembering those who have died. I hope that editorially, we have someone making sure its not packaged like some docusoap. Its getting that right, which ultimately, is key in winning over the public. I am not anti remembering, I am against any faux aspects of it and your husband (I assume?) is lucky that his children have such a tip top mum to keep things going.

Al.