PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing after Chelsea v Liverpool match
Old 17th Nov 2008, 17:35
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 439 Likes on 232 Posts
Why would you comply with the min IMC speed and yet still put yourself outside the IMC envelope by using an excessive ROC? This would still lead to reduced stability and an increased risk of loss of control.
Beater, the pilot was in an extremely dangerous situation. He was already outside the IMC envelope by being at 20' agl but also outside the VMC enevelope. He did lose control. He allowed his aircraft to hit a tree.

Presumably he was somewhat familar with the area around the proposed LS (because he had been there before by day) so he should have had some idea of the major obstructions. If the aircraft had been climbed asap after realising that the perceived lights were incorrect, the outcome would not have been the same. There have been nights when I too have had to go around from low level because the weather wasn't as good as predicted or low level fog was created by the presence of the aircraft's rotorwash. Sometimes a published IMC max. rate of climb is not a priority. Yes, I've had to go around from 300 feet radalt by night, but only on a known letdown path, on a stabilised approach. What I didn't do was attempt to go "grobbling around" in the dark at low level in marginal weather from position uncertain.