PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Fallen
Thread: The Fallen
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 14:09
Chugalug2

Received 237 Likes on 73 Posts
The Other Half; it was not my wish, nor I suspect Al R's, to offend you or anyone else who appeared in this programme or for that matter who chose not to. My critical comments were levelled entirely at those who produced, directed and edited it, and certainly not at those who, like yourself, were its subjects (for despite its title it was those who were left to grieve rather than the Fallen themselves that principally fulfilled that role it seems to me). The testimony that you and others gave was moving and heartfelt, and could not fail to compel. I hope that you believe me when I say that those voices and faces will remain in my mind longer than any detailed analysis of the programme construct itself. If you find my comments regarding the latter "churlish and uncalled for" then I must accept your censure. I note that both you and Chappie say that taking part in it was cathartic in itself, that is something that only those who did so can know, but if that be the case then it was surely worth it for that alone. All I can say is that for my part I am glad that the programme was made, I am glad that I watched it and certainly did not feel the need to switch it off. It just seemed to me to be gratuitously intrusive at times, even exploitative as I have already said. You say robustly that it wasn't, and that as one who took part. You also say that I have "not experienced what far to many of us have". I admit that I have not lost a partner as you have, and can only guess at the loneliness and anguish that it causes. I sympathise, I try to empathise, but as you say I have not experienced it and cannot know. What I do know of is the loss of a parent at a very early age (a father in my case), and totally agree with your comment that:
The children involved in this have lost so much and yet their ability to be matter of fact and stoic is an example to us all in how to remember and mourn with dignity and grace
As for the programme itself, can we just agree to disagree?