PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 13:44
Phalconphixer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7SR;
The reason I suggest this is because of the timeline.
From Vr to impact took 15seconds.
From Vr to stick shaker took 6 seconds.
From the initial stick shaker action to impact took 9 seconds.

By my reckoning given that during that 9 seconds the aircraft was rolling left and right and the necessary actions were being taken by the crew to respond to these undemanded rolls, and the fact that the EPR was recording 1.95 anyway (pretty well firewalled anyway, I assume for this sort of reading) I would guess that the crew just ran out of options.

REMEMBER that a HUGE SIGN SAYING STALL and a VERY LOUD warning sound would get your attention.
9 seconds to convert what has effectively become a 130 ton brick back into a flying machine…

9 seconds to diagnose the problem, realise that the slats were not deployed, operate the flap handle, wait for the flap/slat mechanisms to respond and deploy, and become active; they just ran out of time.

The whole point being that in the Sim it doesn’t matter; you have laboratory conditions and no-one is going to get hurt. You can always go back and do it again and the only damage is to your ego…In real life there would be the realisation that this is for real and even the coolest crew would be subject to an element of panic as the need for self preservation kicked in.

So sorry, I’m sticking to that line.

NoD:
Thanks for that explanation about ground effect; that’s the bit I couldn’t get my head around!