PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gays in the RAF
Thread: Gays in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 10:45
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this is not a wind up

What troubled me from the early posts, was mention of going on a gay pride march.
This could (note, didn't say will) suggest an image of being proud to be gay, or needing to tell others you are gay.
Often in life, folks whom are proud to be something (which others would just get on with) may have a chip on their shoulder.

During my training with the British army:
I was severely punched in the face during an NBC lesson. This was because I had done something stupid.

Repeatedly marched over a puddle of oil (in my best parade uniform) until I slipped over into it. This was because I was very good at doing drill, and had been showing off, thus I needed bringing down to earth.

I was once in an office, where I was ordered to turn round, and was promptly told to "**** off short ass", followed by a harsh kick to my backside. This was to remind me I had not saluted as I entered the office.

These are only a few examples of service life (PS ignore all here who have never served, as the military is a different world, not just alternative career path).
Now, NONE OF THE ABOVE BOTHERED ME AT ALL, and were all part of military life. If however any such things ever happen to you, and you wonder if if was because you are gay (even if that's why it happened) then military life is not for you.

Throughout my career I was often called "short-ass" or "Paki" (I am dark skinned), And none of this bothered me, as they were only names. If truth be told, the folks who said these things to me, would happily stand shoulder to shoulder in tough times

So although I realise the RAF has a much easier life than the army, if this is not a wind up, then please think long and hard as to whether you are up to the job.