PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gays in the RAF
Thread: Gays in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 07:22
PPRuNeUser0172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Gaipilot

Congrats on being selected for what is arguably the coolest job in the world. However, pin your ears back and switch to receive (ooh err)

The fact that you have introduced yourself on a public forum just before you start IOT as the "only gay in the village" is not wise. Trust me, people in the RAF may have views either way about your persuasion BUT provided you pitch up to work are reliable, trustworthy and someone they would want to go to war with, they will not give the slightest sh!t about your sexuality.

YOU are making the issue out of it here and the differing replies are testament to the mixed feeling for this subject. I think you are displaying a worrying lack of maturity (considering your chosed profession- note 1 'f') making an issue out of your sexuality this publically before you go to IOT.

You are right to aspire to be a single seat fast jet mate, you shouldn't be here if you don't however, this is a long slog and there are many pitfalls along the way. Please don't make your sexuality some kind of issue as you go through training, people will alienate you very quickly and you will sit there thinking, "they all hate me 'cos I am gay", WRONG!! They will be thinking " we hate him 'cos he is a bell end"

IOT/EFT/BFJT/AFT/OCU all takes a long time, moral courage and resilience and the RAF is a small place these days, if you piss someone off on day 1, guess what they could end up being you QFI at Valley and you may just find SAP 4 unpassable!!!

Treat people as you would wish to be treated, respect other people's sensitivies to your chosen path, as you do with others. Bottom line be a good bloke, don't introduce yourself as "the gay one" and people will not give two hoots. If you have visions of being the first or some trailblazer then you are far too late, there are competent gay men/women in all fleets (some more than others) so stop grandstanding and get on with polishing your boots and learning how to make hospital corners on your bed......

Good luck, sadly I am not convinced we have heard the last of you