PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gays in the RAF
Thread: Gays in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 01:56
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gai Pilot -

As has been referred to, there has been a thread or two in the past couple of years about this. I have to say, (somewhat to my shame), I was one of those that made some very disparaging remarks in the debate. I've been out of the mob a lot longer now, and so am a little less institutionalised.

The change in Military Law that permitted the engagement of homosexuals took place less than 10 years ago. Thus you will find some who you serve with (under, given their seniority), who will have maintained the attitude they were indoctrinated with on joining. Gays were not just illegal, they were the very dirt on the boots of those who serve. When "Pink Wednesday" arrived, we were just told (and I quote) "This is an order. Salute, turn to the right and march out".

Given your age, I should imagine you have no comprehension of the enormity of this issue at the time. I'd even venture to suggest that you have known you are gay for less than the time that this practice is now allowed, and in the context of a military career, it's only been since NAAFI break.

I say this because my advice to you is along the lines of "don't ask, don't tell". If you want to be a career homosexual, the Armed Forces are probably not for you. If you want to be a career pilot, then the RAF is a good choice. Don't let one issue confuse the other though.

Best of luck, and thank you for your intended service.