PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Portable Traffic Collision System. (PCAS)
Old 17th Nov 2008, 00:14
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public Announcement

Again Mr Murphie is attempting to stir up trouble and I do not intend to bite - however, I do intend to ensure the facts are set straight.

Murphie quote commencing this thread :
There has also been some misinformation about this unit put on this forum by people with a vested interests in selling another costly concept.
FACT 1
The FACTS with which Mr Murphie was acquainted about PASSIVE traffic systems (the same one he is quoting here) are visible as posts 208 and 210 on Saturday just passed - on the locked thread Merged: ADSB.

I thank FTDK for confirming what Mr Murphie was told on 15 November. Passive systems only work under MSSR or TCAS interrogation.

FACT 2
ADS-B works anywhere and does not require MSSR or TCAS interrogation to enable aircraft to aircraft (or ground) alert via ADS-B IN.

FACT 3
FLARM is active although in a different frequency range. The ADS-B OUT/IN integrated unit successfully trialled by Enigma Avionics has been also trialled with FLARM and was receiving FLARM alerts at or beyond 3 Nm.

For the benefit of the moderators, this post is not
a one-upmanship tit for tat argument between Messrs. Murphie and Michael.
It is to ensure, as last Saturday, that people are not sucked in to buying something that does not work in much of Class G airspace and the associated CTAFs where radar coverage does not exist nor RPT with TCAS fly.

This thread starts totally misleadingly
Hawker Pacific are advertising a small PCAS that actually works anywhere. It interrogates transponder transmissions and displays an alert.
Wrong, wrong, wrong