PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad weather accidents and GPS
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2008, 16:21
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joel you are speaking my language . A lot of the commercial pilots here ( not all )do have a "thing" about singles and dont approve of night or across water in them ....dont get me wrong the modern twins with a capability to fly/climb on one engine would give you a good feeling at night or over water ....but you still only have one of quite a few other things !!! Xmission etc Our obsession with engine failures stems from many years ago and takes up far too much of the training time imho. CFIT is the main killer and i think we all agree something has to be done . I feel a lot better now knowing that there are some excellent pilots on here such as JJ , VeeAny etc who look like they are ACTUALLY going to try to do something rather than just pontificate on this site We all await some news on this .
On the subject of gps , i see the new generation can have weather , terrain with msa and ALSO an AH overlaid over synthetic vision . I gather that this means that what you see on the screen is what you would see thru the windshield if there was viz . Sounds fantastic but could be opening a whole new can of worms re jj,s points ...can one test this on a sim with low hr pilots and see if it has a beneficial effect ? I am told it would greatly reduce the effect of spacial disorientation if you can see a picture of the outside view on the screen . Weather updates would however be great if accurate .