PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of rudder in turns
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2008, 11:22
RansS9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Student is asked to make a steep level turn. Rolls into it but doesn't input quite enough backstick. Makes a quick glance at the balance ball sees it has dropped into the turn slightly and immediately inputs rudder to remedy it. Congratulations your in a balanced spiral dive. If all the pilot has been taught is "Stamp on the ball" then he's not going to be aware of other possible influences.

I agree wholeheartedly that things can be made overcomplicated and as a result confused. The control of the aircraft has to be almost automatic; but that automatism has to be grounded in good basic knowledge. However things can be dumbed down too much just leading to dumb pilots. I suppose it is all a matter of balance.

Getting the balance right; feeding ideas at a sensible rate; tailoring the instruction the the individual taking into account their interests and background. Like all the good things in life it's.. part art.. part science.

When I was younger I used to subscribe to the view; "those who can do those who can't teach". Not now.. a good teacher is priceless.

TIM